A few people asked me what we use at TheIceBreak, so here it goes:
- Linux / Apache / MySQL / Python
- Pylons Framework (SQLAlchemy ORM, Mako Templating Engine)
- Lucene for Search
- JQuery for website
- Appcelerator Titanium for mobile app.
- Redis for caching
- GIT for source control, hosted on github
- nginx as load balancer
- Linode VPS for hosting webservers / database
- Amazon S3 for images
Besides this, it consists of:
- 3 main servers: Web, Search, Database
- 1 dev server, which also contains a database replica (in case the main server crashes)
- The dev server also hosts a 'stage2', which is as similar in structure to the live site as it can. Everything that is pushed live goes through stage2 to make sure that nothing breaks.